Skip to main content

FIRE FIGHTERS: Lukewarmness


Icebreaker:
How has your life been affected by fire? (home, forest, community, work, school, etc.)

Overview:
I faced a life-threatening illness in June of 2000 when my head exploded with pain from a brain hemorrhage. The only prayer I could manage was, “God, you’ve got to help me.” And He did. I walked out of the hospital a week later a little singed but alive. God had saved me from something that takes most. He continues to be right beside me when in the dark of the long nights the evil one whispers, “Did God really heal you? If it happened once, it could happen again. You won’t be so lucky next time.” Like Shadrach, Meshach and Abednego said to the king, I say in reply, “I have no need to answer you. The God I serve is able to deliver me!”   

Discussion:
Read Daniel 3:16-30.

The Faithful understand the power of God for deliverance.

What did Shadrach, Meshach and Abednego know about God that the king did not?
How did they respond to the king’s threat?
What was the miracle of the fire?

Pat’s testimony:
I was about 10 years old the first time I felt God’s wonderous miracle. My mom was very ill and not expected to survive. For a year she had suffered with an open wound left from breast cancer. One day our neighbor came over and asked permission to place a healing cloth on her chest and pray for her. Mom, being desperate, agreed. I, with a child’s wonder and curiosity, watched from the door as this faith-filled man bent over, and while praying, placed that sparkling, white cloth on her rotting chest. The next day her doctor made a house call, as they did in those days, and declared in shock that he could see a tiny speck of healthy flesh. From that day, she slowly healed and was with us 25 more years. She was terribly scared but beautiful to me. That was 70 years ago but it is forever carved into my heart. My faith in the power of God and prayer never left me. That moment kept me peaceful through my own breast cancer, Hollis’s heart surgeries and strokes, and then my precious Greta’s breast cancer.
Through the long journey of our beautifully, blurry world of Hollis’s dementia, God’s presence never left me. I prayed day and night that He would keep me strong and healthy so I could care for Hollis and so He did. God kept the knowledge of the massive heart attack I suffered during this time from me until after He took Hollis home. Now, that is a mighty and powerful presence, don’t you think? I pray daily that He will stay present with me so that I can try to pay Him back for all He does for me. Look for God because I know that He is there waiting for us to look to Him.

Lukewarm followers avoid the fire by compromising.

“So, because you are lukewarm, and neither hot nor cold, I will spit you out of my mouth.” Revelation 3:16 ESV

What is so wrong with trying to avoid trouble or conflict?
What is the difference between a peacemaker and a compromiser?

God is with us in the fire.

Tiffany’s testimony:
We moved to Tennessee for a job in 2017. Fourteen days after I arrived, my mom called crying hysterically because my sister and five of my nieces and nephews were killed in a house fire that had been intentionally set. God gave me the strength to be there and be the backbone for the family. After being in Tennessee a year and just buying a home, my position at work was terminated. God got me through that as well with severance and a new job within weeks after my loss. Later that year, my stepmom retired and moved to Tennessee. Three months after her move, we found her unresponsive and rushed her to the hospital where she was diagnosed with brain cancer and placed on hospice. Even though I had only been working at my new job for a short time, they let me work from home so I could care for her until her death four months later. Once again, my God was there to help me make calls, plan the funeral and even speak at her memorial service.

They came out of the fire.

What was the condition of the three when they came out of the furnace?
How does God’s presence during hard times build our faith?
What lessons do we learn when in the furnace of life?

Prayer:
Pray for courage and God’s presence so you are prepared when you need to face life’s troubles.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A SAVIOR IS BORN! He is Christ, the Lord

The following questions are to be used as a study aid for the sermon preached by Pastor Tommy Dove at the Grace Place on Sunday, December 25, 2016.  To get the most from these questions, go to http://www.nashvillechurch.com and click on “Media” to either stream the current service or listen to a previous sermon. These questions can be used in your private Bible study during the week or as the topic for a small group study.  For more information on participating in a small group study, contact Pastor Owen Snyder. Fellowship: Icebreaker: What is the best news you have ever received? How do you like to share good news? What kind of good news have you shared? Scripture: Luke 2:8-12 Lesson: We have heard the Christmas story so many times that we hurry through some parts so we can get to the wise men brought gifts part.  This time let’s focus in on the “He is Christ, the Lord” part.  It was, and still is, the best part of the whole story.  Our Savior has come!

FAMILY VALUES: Growing Great Kids

The following questions are to be used as a study aid for the sermon preached by Rev. Tommy Dove at the Grace Place on Sunday, May 3, 2015.  To get the most from these questions, view the service at o http://www.graceplace.us and click on “Streaming.”  From there you can watch or listen to the service first. These questions can be used in your private Bible study during the week or as the topic for a small group study. For more information on hosting or leading a small group study, click on "GP Small Groups" under "GP Ministries" at www.graceplace.us. Fellowship: (Break bread with your community, share life from last week, announcements for next week) Icebreaker: (Get to know your fellow believers a little bit better using this week’s topic) Prince William and the Duchess of Cambridge gave birth to their baby daughter on Saturday.  As we await her royal name, generate your own royal name. Your first name, grandparent’s first name, mother’s maiden n

SET FREE! Free to Be

The following questions are to be used as a study aid for the sermon preached by Rev. Tommy Dove at the Grace Place on Sunday, July 19, 2015.  To get the most from these questions, view the service at http://www.graceplace.us and click on “Streaming.”  From there you can watch or listen to the service first. These questions can be used in your private Bible study during the week or as the topic for a small group study. For more information on hosting or leading a small group study, click on "GP Small Groups" under "GP Ministries" at www.graceplace.us. Fellowship: Icebreaker: What is your favorite salty food? What is your favorite sweet food? What is the best salty/sweet combo? Scripture: Matthew 5:1-16 Lesson: An acquaintance sent an email saying how much strength she had drawn from my sharing about my mother’s journey with dementia.  A few days later I dreamed that my mother was telling me, “Let your light shine.”   You are free to b